Recently, We found an interesting article in the net (not sure which one is the original source, it is found in many websites now :-P), and circulated it internally:
Today’s leaders don’t have all the answers. (How can they?) But they know how to find the answers and, more importantly, they know how to help others find the answers.
Leaders today are listeners. They listen up, down, and all around their organization. They listen in order to:
- Pick up on problems before they get out of hand
- Uncover the causes of miscommunication and conflict
- Understand people’s motives, values, and feelings
- Build rapport and mutual respect
- Discover trends that drive the way business gets done
- Gather and evaluate ideas
- Generate solutions
Our HR Director Bhasker Rao elaborated on these points, We thought it will be very useful to our blog readers and sharing the same here:
Pick up on problems before they get out of hand
- Very important to pick problems proactively and solve. When you solve a problem in a reactive mode, you never get enough credit!
- Preempt all problems early
Uncover the causes of miscommunication and conflict
- Set up a communication model/ structure for yourselves
- Keep communicating in multiple ways : Announcements, 121 meetings, feedback, suggestions, Asking Questions, Summarize, Briefing/ debriefing and more!
Understand people’s motives, values, and feelings
- Use body language and gestures, Have systemic view (open to multiple perceptions)
- Understand people well : their strengths, motivational factors, needs, values
- Empathize with people, and relate to them (customer orientation).
- Again, be proactive
Build rapport and mutual respect
- Develop (You can learn to be an extravert!) good attitude for developing relationship
- Converse based on mutual interest, have respect (every one has some strength) for every one and develop trust
- Recognize and appreciate in public. Find reasons to do this! (Example: You look happy today!, You look good in this dress!)
Discover trends that drive the way business gets done
- Focus on business, Organization and project and see how you can help it to succeed
Gather and evaluate ideas
- Generate ideas, brain storm (even if you do get any thing on many occasions)
- Make people think
- Use many different methods to instigate people to start thinking in many ways, Analyze ides, structure them
- Develop solutions, actions and follow up
- Involve every one in solution forming, delegate work.
- There is always scope for innovation and improvement
- Aim very high and keep focus